Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Sorcerer - Herbie Hancock

Great example of exclusive use of the Four Note Grouping technique in the opening of  Herbie's solo on "The Sorcerer", from the 1968 album,"Speak Like A Child". Herbie's harmonic and melodic depth back then was stunning. Some other nice techniques evident in this solo are Pentatonics, Upper Structure Triads along with Approach & Passing Notes  and great motivic playing. Gustavo


Here is the transcription:

The Sorcerer - Transcription
The Sorcerer - Audio



3 comments:

James Peipon said...

Gustavo and Ed!!!

This is all great stuff! I haven't been commenting but I have certainly been visiting and soaking it in. Please keep up the good work here! I hope others aren't missing out on these great resources.

THANK YOU!

James

Ed Saindon/Gustavo Agatiello said...

Hi James,

I'm happy to see you joined the conversation!

Yeah, I wish I had these resources when was starting out! I hope, as you very well said, others aren't missing out on it. It would be nice to get a constructive discussion going here. In any case, Ed & I are having a great time with all this. But there sure is a lot lot of good stuff to talk about, which we could all benefit from.

We started with this idea on a Facebook group page also named "All Things Vibraphone", but then realized we may have been excluding people who don't use Facebook. So we thought this would be a better alternative, though the Facebook page is still up. If you have any ideas, requests, etc, let us know.

I hope both you and Dasha are doing well. I haven't seen you in quite a while.

Gustavo

Ed Saindon/Gustavo Agatiello said...

Hi James, I hope you and Dasha are doing well. Let us know how you are and what you're up to. Ed